Thursday, November 16, 2006

A New Addiction


Every day I drive 32 miles to work and then 32 miles back home. That's the price I pay for driving to downtown Atlanta and making a decent wage - hours spent in my car in traffic. About a month ago Gene and I had Sunday morning breakfast at the Cracker Barrel in Douglasville and while we were waiting to be seated I was browsing the audio books display. On the rack was a book I had wanted to read. This stayed on my mind during the entire breakfast so on the way out I decided to try the rental program - something like $3.99 a week to rent the audio book. The first book I rented was James Patterson's Fifth Horseman. I really didn't expect much, just a little something other than endless traffic reports on the radio. But I loved it! Now I am absolutely hooked on them. The long ride is actually enjoyable now. I even bought an inexpensive CD player so I can listen to a book while on my flight to Las Vegas. Saturday I am going to our public library to see what kind of audio book selection they have. I don't mind paying Cracker Barrel's fee, I just want to broaden the range of selections, maybe get into something a little deeper than mystery novels. I'm not a book snob, don't really want to listen to War and Peace, but I don't like romance novels and Cracker Barrel is a little heavy on that genre. Ahhh, life is good.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Audio books are great. Listening to a good book makes the commute seem much shorter. My library has a good selection and is getting more of the unabridged versions. I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird which I had read years ago. Do you ever sit in the parking lot or the driveway just to hear a little bit more?

Glad your little dog is doing better.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, audio romance novels?! Who do they get to narrate them, and how breathless do they get? I must now hunt down this information!

One of my coworkers gets audio books for her iPod at the local library all the time, I never even would have thought of that. Of course, my tiny mp3 player would probably only hold somethign the length of The Cat in the Hat.