Monday, May 14, 2007

Mothers Day

Sunday was Mothers Day and my mother spent the weekend with me. It was so much better than going to her house and having her work her buns off preparing a huge meal for everyone and wearing herself out. We decided that for a Mothers Day treat we would go to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens, figuring that since it was a special day when a lot of people would stay at home it wouldn't be very crowded. WRONG! It seems that everyone in the Metro Atlanta Area had the same idea I did. But it wasn't a problem. We parked at Colony Square, caught the free shuttle to the Gardens and were deposited at the main entrance building. Easy peasy. We decided that since it was very warm and my mother's endurance isn't very good that we would use a wheelchair (which the Gardens provided for free). There were a lot of people there but it never seemed crowded and we never felt rushed. What a beautiful, beautiful place. I've lived in Atlanta since 1969 and had never been there. Now I'm really sorry I waited so long. There was a special exhibit going on, "Big Bugs and Killer Plants," and it was fabulous. I took lots and lots of pictures and we had a really special time. We stopped at Dairy Queen on the way home and treated ourselves to a Banana Split Blizzard - yummy! It was a wonderful Mothers Day and I'm glad I was able to make it happen.

My Mother Orchid Cobalt Blue Pot
My Mother and Gene Ladybug
Fountain Preying Mantis Pitcher Plants

2 comments:

Mary said...

I am going to try this again. My first attempt seems to have been eaten by Blogger. Let's see if I can remember what I said.

I like those bug sculptures. Isn't it funny that most people, including myself, never visit the places nearby that others travel miles to see?

Cheryl said...

Oh, the St. Louis one is on my wish list to get too..I love going there! What a wonderful day you provided for your mother.