Thursday, June 29, 2017

Feeling the Colors

I had a wonderful 4-day weekend in Panama City Beach, Florida. And, no, that isn't a self portrait of me on the beach! (joke!!) Graham Berry, a renowned master artist from the UK, has been one of my favorite artists since I first came across his work on Facebook. When I found out he was making his first trip to the US for workshops I immediately started trying to find one I could attend. And when I found there was one in Charleston, SC I signed up ASAP. I was a little disappointed that it was only a 2-day workshop but 2 days was better than none. And it was a fun experience and a good workshop. So good that when I found out while there that he was holding a 4-day workshop in Panama City Beach, I immediately starting making plans to attend that one also! Saint Gene and I discussed the $$ situation and decided it was worth the expense and I signed up. I'm so glad I did. Painting the human figure is a daunting thing for me. And believe me when I say I will never try portraiture. But Graham's approach is one I can get into and feel like I can do it justice. Right now my figures are a little clumsy but that's where practice comes in. And practice I will because I love the idea of painting like this. His use of color is perfect for me and makes me happy. And happy is a good thing.

I used AirBnB for lodging for the first time and it was an overall very good experience. I rented a bedroom in a private home for only $55 a night including breakfast each day (hotel minimums were running $150 a night). Yes, staying in a private home while the homeowners are there is a little awkward but my two hosts were so great that I got past that pretty quickly. There was a great swimming pool (which I didn't manage to use - but next time.....) and the food was fantastic. They even invited me to have dinner with them two nights and I'm sure glad I said yes. Wonderful gourmet cooking.

Overall, a great long weekend

Photobucket

Joy Journal: A tap on the shoulder and a thumbs up from the instructor

1 comment:

Fiona said...

Ernie, I'm glad you had a good time n learned lots. Nothing beats the beach AND and art workshop!