Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Joy Journal

So, just what IS a Joy Journal? In my case it's a little tiny notebook that lives in my pocketbook. The notebook is nothing special to look at, just a little cheapy wire spiral bound thingy from Wal-Mart. Every day I make at least one little handwritten entry in it of something that gives me joy. Somedays it's as simple as "Beautiful weather today", "Light traffic driving into work makes for an easy trip." Some days its things like "A friend that I hadn't heard from in a long time called me today to let me know that she was thinking of me and just wanted to hear my voice." Or "My husband is such a good man. Last night I decided I wanted a Dairy Queen milkshake. At 10 PM this wonderful man drove to Dairy Queen and got us a milkshake. I didn't ask him to, he did it just because I said, "Wouldn't a milkshake be good?" I'm a lucky lady." Some days the little notebook gets numerous entries and some days I struggle to get even one - but there is always at least one thing that brought me joy that day and I need to remember that it occurred, that the day wasn't an entirely bad day. This little Joy Journal is my way of keeping myself from dwelling on bad things and helping me realize I have a good life. Depression runs in my family and I can feel it's tendencies in me. Little things like my Joy Journal help me keep my perspective. As Abraham Lincoln said, "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." And I've made up my mind to be happy.

2 comments:

Anetka said...

wonderful explanation for JOY JOURNAL:)
and IT'S REALLY WORKING FOR ME:)

THANK YOU ERNIE

Margaret Ann said...

Ohhhh. I am so excited...Anetka directed me here...and as a result...I am starting one tomorrow....What fun! WooHoo! :)