Saturday, August 09, 2008

Oh, What a Beautiful Morning...


Oh, what a beautiful day!


My husband and I decided to change the weekend he was going to spend with my mother to this weekend and I had total freedom today to relax and do whatever I wanted. And what I wanted to do was take photos and just generally hang out around town. I started the day with a wonderful latte and sitting outside at the coffee shop making tiny little drawings in my sketch journal. The weather was just gorgeous - Bright blue sky with white puffy clouds, low 80s and low humidity. So, of course, I just had to go back to my favorite photo subject, the junked ice cream truck. I won't be able to enjoy this treasure for too much longer, nature is winning the battle and the little truck won't last much longer. The sun is rapidly fading and peeling the paint, the kudzu has invaded the interior and it is beginning to disintegrate. But for right now it is great fun for me. And signs of approaching fall are showing up, too. The sumac is blooming with its incredible colors, the crepe myrtle's leaves are falling and there are very few flowers left anywhere. Had lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings at 3 p.m., then went straight to the mall and to Borders and had a mocha while I sat there and made another tiny drawing in my sketch book.

I feel like I've enjoyed today more than I should. My conscience is pricking me a little because I'm taking the time for myself instead of going to my mother's. But I needed this day and I've enjoyed myself immensely and I feel a little renewed.

Joy Journal: The beautiful patterns of peeling paint.

3 comments:

Anetka said...

beautiful photos Ernie, you caputure beauty and uniqness in small details which I really admire! Patterns of peeling paint are amazing:)
In the difficult times or times when we have to focus on someone else for a long period of time, we need to find a time to look into ourselves, hear our inner voice as it will give us strenghts to carry on.
Don't feel guilty, it's not only for your own benefit but also for others:)
Thank you for sharing.

Shelley said...

Ernie:

That sounds like a wonderful, soul-renewing day. No guilt required ~ you must replenish yourself with peace and beauty. Part of that giving and receiving flow of life.

Wonderful photos too - your creative juices are definitely flowing! The Challenge this week in our Creative Photography group is Patterns. Your Peeling Paint is a perfect example!

Shelley

Cheryl said...

I continue to be impressed with your eye! These are awesome...and that's an old ice cream truck? Never would have guessed!