Friday, April 10, 2009

Been Busy. Been Very, Very Busy.

Been busy. Been very, very busy. And also a little overwhelmed with the caretaking. But here I am again.

The two Cormier/Holmes workshops were really wonderful. I learned some fun, fun techniques and hope to get a chance to play with them soon. That's right, I haven't done a thing with them since the workshops but as I said, busy, busy. It is always invigorating being around creative people and this was no exception. And getting to reconnect with my wonderful friend Barb Verni-Lau made it extra-special. What a fantastic person she is. It's amazing, we can be apart with almost no contact for months and yet when we do see each other, it's as if no time had passed. We're still just as close. Kind of a miracle if you think about it.

My husband is now officially "gainfully unemployed" (his phrase, not mine). His small company has shut down for good and he is considering himself retired. And he has become my mother's full-time, daytime care taker. And surprisingly, he seems to actually find it fulfilling. As he explained it to me, it gives him a feeling of being useful and of being a contributor to the family. Someone called offering him a job (a good job and in this market, no less!!) and he told them no, that he already had a job being my mother's caretaker and that was a more important job. I've told you before but I have to say it again, this man is special.

We (my husband and I) took my mother today to see a neurologist. Her official diagnosis is vascular dementia precipitated by a stroke. The doctor saw no signs of Alzheimer's, which is a blessing, but he prescribed an Alzheimer's drug (Aricept) to help with her memory. This drug has apparently been effective in providing some help to people with her type of dementia. So we started it tonight and now we pray.

Actually, now we go to bed. Some of us are still gainfully "employed." Chat again soon.


Joy Journal: A beautiful new water fountain installed today by St. Gene.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

Ernie, it's wonderful to see a new post from you! I'm glad that even though life is crazy busy for you, that you're taking time for classes and reconnecting with friends!

Your husband is truly special (may I admit to being more that a little envious?).

I imagine it's also a great comfort to know your Mom is in such good hands during the day.

"Gainfully unemployed" ~ another phrase that strikes envy in my heart. A meeting with our financial advisor this week determined that my husband and I will be doddering about before retirement is even an option!

Shelley

Odd Chick said...

I was happy to see you back in blogland. I know you have much.. too much on your plate, but there will come a season again of rest and creativity for you.. just hang on.

Krafty Kat said...

What a sweetheart you have in your life! I am so happy to hear he has taken on the role of care-taker for your mother. I know that must take a lot of the worries off of your chest. I hope the medicine helps her.

I also can't wait to see what you do with the stuff you learned at the workshops. Kicking myself now for not going. Oh well! Maybe next time.