Sunday, August 30, 2009

Trying to Photograph the Wind

If you want a real exercise in futility, try taking photographs of hummingbirds on a slightly windy, overcast day.  Not the smartest thing I've ever done.  But it was still fun.  And I learned to use the remote control on my camera.  And took over 400 photos - none of which produced a good picture!!  The remote control on my camera has to be activated from in front of the camera which I find kind of weird.  And it resets itself from remote control to regular shutter press after a certain number of seconds of inactivity.  Which means that you have to press the remote control every so often regardless of whether or not a hummingbird has made an appearance and if you don't, you have to physically go back to the camera and reset it to use the remote control, thereby scaring away any hummers who were finally deciding to approach the feeder while that strange black tripod and camera were sitting there.  AND hummingbirds can move faster than a remote can trigger.  Click, hummer hears click and is long gone before shutter releases, then shutter releases.  Over and over and over.  And over.  Ok, lessons learned? 

  1. Insist on sunny day
  2. Move feeder out from under the overhang
  3. High, high shutter speed even for resting hummingbirds
  4. Patience
  5. Patience
  6. Repeat instructions 5 and 6.

Joy Journal:  Time for myself 

3 comments:

Shelley said...

Hi Ernie:

Maybe you didn't get any wonderful images, but it sounds like a fun way to spend some time anyhow, and a great learning experience for the next round of hummer photography! I'm envious...haven't seen many hummingbirds this summer in our neck of the woods!

Cheryl Gebhart said...

At least you learned some good stuff and got to see the hummingbirds. I know what you mean about the remote - I think it's designed so you can take pictures of yourself, which is why you have to be in front - but there are LOTS of other reasons to use a remote, so it would be great if you could use it from in front or back. The bottom picture is pretty good - I love the way the hummer is sticking its head in the feeder. (And thanks for commenting on my blog.)

Cheryl Gebhart said...

BTW, I love the "I don't do blog awards" and I've added it to my blog.