Friday, March 25, 2011

Going, Going, Gone

Photobucket
What a great day at work today. I turned in my retirement notice on Wednesday, March 16, and my last working day is April 1. Today many of my friends had a potluck luncheon for me. It was a really special occasion for me, sitting around a conference room table with friends from my 27 years with this law firm. The food was wonderful (and I felt like it was my duty to overeat!). So I did. But the company of so many of my friends on such a relaxed occasion is a memory I will always treasure. I hate to leave these wonderful people, I wasn't ready to retire. But my mother needs me and Saint Gene needs me to be at home and help. Caring for my mother has become more stressful and while he wouldn't ever admit it, I can see his stress level building and he needs help. So retiring is something I needed to do. But I will very much miss going to work everyday. I will miss the structure this gave to my life. I will definitely miss the paycheck. But most of all I will miss these wonderful people. The photo above is of the flower arrangement that they had for me. It's almost as beautiful as they are.

Joy Journal: A fun picture collage filled with memories

3 comments:

Sherry said...

Wishing you all the best as you transition into this new phase of your life. It's always difficult when your decision to retire is based on factors other than just being ready to retire. However, at some point as you are enjoying your involvement in your photography and art making, you will find yourself wondering how you ever had time to work.

Linda said...

:)

Odd Chick said...

I know it must be a bitter-sweet time. I cried when I gave up my paralegal job to work on the farm with sweet Farmer. I was afraid that I was lose myself and just melt into him. But instead, it was an awakening for me of things that were even more important to me. You never lose anything or anyone that you passed in your journey- it only adds to your brilliant future ahead. I know things will go well with your mom since you will have a tag team. take care!