Sunday, November 20, 2011

Deprive Myself?

Been having a little problem lately with acid reflux so I went online to see what I should do for it. Found the following on a website:
"Treatment

To prevent heartburn, avoid foods and beverages that may trigger your symptoms. For many people, these include:

•Alcohol
•Caffeine
•Carbonated beverages
•Chocolate
•Citrus fruits and juices
•Tomatoes
•Tomato sauces
•Spicy or fatty foods
•Full-fat dairy products
•Peppermint
•Spearmint
If other foods regularly give you heartburn, avoid those foods, too."

Geez, what I am supposed to eat? Life without tomatoes would be no life at all. We had 15 heavy producing tomato plants this summer!! Don't they know that the best part of waking up is Folgers in my cup (or, in my case, Maxwell House)? No carbonated beverages? Then how can I Teach the World to Sing in Perfect Harmony? No spicy foods? My middle name is "Tex-Mex Restaurant." No fatty foods? Bacon, bacon, bacon!! Steaks, hamburgers, fried chicken, bring 'em on! No, really, bring 'em on. Just writing about them makes me hungry.

Ok, I think I've got it figured out now. I'll give up peppermint and spearmint.

I just threw away my chewing gum. I feel better already.


Photobucket


Joy Journal: UGA - 9 in a row

3 comments:

Gaelyn said...

My diverticulitis kicked in and now I'm on a liquid diet for a few days. Coffee, metamucil, water, metamucil, ensure, metamucil and chicken broth.

Take care of yourself and take whatever you can when you can.

Just Jane said...

I occasionally get it too and the list of the No foods are just not fair *stamping foot*.

When I have a flare up, I take Prilosec OTC and rely on Maalox chewable tablets (not too bad on taste). Oh yeah...and I throw my gum away :).

Shelley said...

I'm an acid reflux sufferer too...Thanks to you, I now know what to do about it...I must take up chewing gum, so I can give it up (because there's no way anyone is going to pry my coffee, red wine, chocolate, or spicy, tomatoe-y foods out of my hands!)