Monday, December 28, 2009

Make It Stop

I'm glad to be back at work. I'm glad Christmas is over. I had very little, if any, true Christmas spirit this year. Shopping was done in a rush, all by myself. Many in the family received gift cards because I just didn't have the time or the inclination to really get "into" Christmas gifts this year. No Christmas tree or other decorations at my house. No true feeling of joy or warmth or any of those other things that mean "Christmas" to me. My husband is still living with my mother at her house in another town. Christmas for the first time was held at my brother's house rather than my mother's. I did 90% of the cooking and then had to schlep all the food down to my mother's, then to my brother's. No, I'm not a grinch or Ms. Scrooge. But Christmas was tough this year.

This entire year has been difficult, especially the past 4 months since my mother fell and required surgery for a broken hip. The trauma of the injury, the surgery and an extended hospital stay caused her dementia to worsen. And my brother's surgery for cancer in his jaw has been stressful for all of us, but, of course, especially for him and his wife. And now his doctor says that there is a spot on his lung. Very small, but still a spot. So more surgery may be in the cards for him.

Keep us all in your prayers. Life gets tough sometimes.


Joy Journal: Sunshine through a window, warming an otherwise cold day.

1 comment:

Odd Chick said...

After reading this, and then seeing your new year's intentions- it seems quite brave of you! i'm sorry that this last year was such a bummer for you but the wave will pass. everything passes- good and bad - it's only our attitude that we can control. I appreciate your honest and authentic share of your struggles and hope the very best for you this coming new year. keep those beautiful photos coming. they are such a blessing!