Thursday, August 11, 2011

Hands On, Definitely

I took my first "hands-on" photography class Saturday and I have to say, hands-on ROCKS! It is definitely better than on-line. Much. Many much. Mucho. Many more betterer. We had two instructors, one was very much a Canon person and one was very much a Nikon person (I own a Nikon). It was wonderful having someone who spoke "Nikon" and could immediately answer my question about my particular camera. And the amazing thing was that she was equally proficient with all of the many different models of Nikon, not just the big, expensive professional model she used. The Canon instructor was equally proficient with all of the models of the Canon cameras. Yes, all of the information can be found in the camera user manual. But have you ever tried to read one of those things? They are written by non-English speakers who got their doctorates in Chaos Theory. Then they are translated into English by non-native English speakers who formerly worked for Basement Cat (a LOL cat reference). And this isn't to say that on-line classes are bad. I took several and learned a lot from them. But for actual "How do I use this thing?" information, hands on is definitely the way to go. If you live in the Atlanta or Birmingham area, I can definitely recommend Click Workshops to you. They are great! I am so much more comfortable shooting in manual mode now. I already understood the concepts of Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO, but the class and the hands on work made the light bulb go on over my head as to how they need to interact. Thanks, Jody and Elizabeth, you were wonderful.

[Sorry, no pictures for this post.  Our models for the class were young pre-teen and teen girls and I didn't think to get permission to use their photos on my blog, so decided it was best not to post them without permission.]

Joy Journal: Rain

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Thanks for sharing about your hands-on photo class. I've only done online classes, but you've got me thinking about looking for an up close and personal one.

I love your take on camera manuals - I can't make heads or tails out of mine!