Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Early Rising


Photobucket

Getting up early in the morning is one of my least favorite things to do. Not having to get up early is one of my favorite things about retirement. So what am I doing lately? Getting up early. I just absolutely have to get in better physical condition. I have to. And that means considerably increasing my exercise level so Saint Gene and I are now going hiking/exercising most mornings at a local park, Boundary Waters Park. I've actually been doing better than I expected but still have a long, long way to go. But it's really wonderful that we have such a place here in our area that has great hiking trails. The county bought the 500 acre heavily wooded tract right on the Chattahoochee River and turned 200 acres of it into hiking, biking and horse riding trails. (Of course, the other 300 acres went to ball fields, all of our county parks seem destined to be ball fields). The nice shady trails made walking bearable during the incredible heat we had for several weeks. OK, so it's not a national forest or Yellowstone, but it is a nice place to walk. We often see horses and riders on the trail and we occasionally see families on bicycles. And you just can't imagine how cute it is to watch Saint Gene and our two tiny little dogs marching to their own beat and hiking up ahead of me. Many of the other hikers we see have their dogs with them, Labradors, Shepherds, Spaniels, etc. And then there's Saint Gene with our little bitty Chihuahua and fluffy white Toy Poodle trotting along. What a contrast!! I can't help but smile every time I see them.
Joy Journal: Shade

1 comment:

Sherry C said...

You go girl!