Tuesday, March 01, 2022

Letting Go

It's hard for me to let things go. No, I don't mean I'm a hoarder, I'm not. I just mean that things stay with me.  I form emotional attachments to some things and said attachments don't always make sense, even to me.  The items in the picture above are some little nightlights I made for a retreat I attended a few years ago.  They were made out of cardstock and vellum and had a little tea light in them and were supposed to be put in the bathrooms we had at the retreat.  At the retreat we all had our own room and our own bathroom.  I put a lot of time and thought into these little lights and then went off to the retreat and forgot to take them with me!!  So they stayed at home.

Now, the question is:  Why do I still have them several years later?  They were never meant to be permanent, just to be a little fun something for the retreat.  But I still have them and hate the thought of throwing them away.  The pandemic made sure we didn't have a retreat again and the chances of having another one in the future are not good, so it's not like I will use them.  But yet they remain.

Another "for instance."  My mother lived with me for 3-1/2 years until her death in 2012.  I still have the ID badge that she needed for her job at Robins Air Force Base.  A job she had been retired from for many years before she needed to come to live with me.  Why do I still have it and am reluctant to let it go?  

And the list goes on.  None of the items are useful or valuable.  It's time for them to go.  It's going to be hard.  But it's going to happen.  At least that's the plan.

Photobucket

Joy Journal:
Watching the light patterns on the wall made by the sun hitting a little disco ball Christmas decoration 

No comments: